If you are the controller of a large corporation or even a small business owner, you have at some point considered outsourcing some parts of your business operations. Whether it is the accounting, marketing, customer service or IT, the benefits of outsourcing make it a pretty viable alternative to taking on the burden of direct employees. Outsourcing does save a company quite a bit of money and also some headaches. It stands to reason that every company should consider outsourcing their IT department given it is such a technically complex business function. Imagine the costs it entails to keep people with that specific of skillsets and special institutional knowledge on staff. Outsourcing your IT services is the right solution for any size Houston company and there are numerous reasons why more and more companies are making the jump to IT service providers versus in house IT departments.
Top Reasons Companies Outsource IT
According to recent studies and polls, companies are finding numerous reasons to justify outsourcing their IT services to these specialty niche service providers. Many of the reasons are born out of necessity while others out of the desire for convenience, but the end result is always a positive impact if the right provider is chosen. Some of the top reasons companies cite for making the switch are:
- Significantly Reduces Operating Costs – When IT is outsources you eliminate numerous expenses that come with hiring an employee. Costs such as health insurance, employment taxes, benefits such as 401k, training expenses and more. Outsourcing shifts these burdens to the provider, freeing up resources for you to use in other areas better suited for that extra cash.
- Tighten The Company Focus – If your company is an accounting firm, you focus on accounting. It is not pragmatic to try to have your hands in all aspects of the business. Rather you outsource things like building maintenance to a janitorial service; IT to an IT service provider etc. Outsourcing functions that aren’t directly related to your primary offerings allow your company to focus on your primary industry. If it’s accounting it allows more focus on hiring qualified individuals to focus on that work only. You don’t have to divert resources to try and master your IT department with usually less than desirable results, which leads to our next reason.
- You Get Exceptional Knowledge And Talent – Keeping an in house IT department is like ordering a steak at a burger joint — sure it may be an ok steak but does it come close to a steak from an actual steakhouse? Not even close, and the same goes for specialized company operations like IT. In order to get truly exceptional talent to adequately staff your IT department it would cost you nearly double or more than outsourcing to a dedicated IT provider. To make things worse, the talent you get for that price is almost always subpar compared to the IT service providers. IT service providers provide you with an entire team of specialists who complete many hours of certification courses and can handle anything that might go wrong.
- Free Up Resources For Other Usage – Many small companies fall into the trap of using employees hired for one task, to assist in other tasks that employees happen to be skilled in but weren’t hired for. For example, Joe gets hired as a customer service representative but also knows a lot about computer networking. Rather than spend money on outsourcing IT support, Joe’s employer takes Joe off task to have him assist whenever someone has computer trouble. Joe may indeed be more than capable, but his primary job task is now getting put on the backburner and eventually that will take its toll on customer service. When you outsource, you give it over to companies with their own employees that are dedicated to IT functions and that is all. It’s a far more efficient solution.
- You Simply Don’t Have Anyone To Help – On the other side of the spectrum, many companies outsource IT services because they have no in house talent or any budget to hire a full time employee. Outsourcing offers a brilliant compromise where overhead is still kept to a minimum but also lightens the liability and financial burden that a direct hire employee is to a company.
- Reduce Risk Of Error/Failure – Unless you are an actual IT company, keeping up with the technology to keep your business systems running smoothly is costly and wastes time that could be better spent performing other core tasks. Because IT providers have to keep up with industry trends and best practices they are more up to date on equipment and technological advances. Having this knowledge helps them keep your company running efficiently and smoothly and reduce your risk of a fatal error in your IT services due to lack of knowledge.
The Rewards Of Outsourcing Your IT Services
If those reasons aren’t enough to convince you that outsourcing is the way to go when it comes to IT; maybe you need to see the rewards you get from outsourcing. Studies show that companies that outsource their IT services garner numerous rewards and most are instant. These rewards make an airtight case for outsourcing and have a huge impact on the performance of the companies that do. Take a look at the top rewards and note which one of these your company could benefit from.
- Keep On The Cutting Edge Of IT Technology – The moment you buy any computer or IT equipment these days, it is obsolete within just a few short months. If your company is tackling IT internally, they are buying their own equipment and are stuck with it until it is feasible to upgrade; not to mention you don’t have someone dedicated to keeping up with office tech developments. On the flip side, outsourcing IT services gives you the benefit of dedicated IT professionals that can guide you on upgrades and you can even lease equipment for them and upgrade as needed, without being tied down to a permanent purchase that might be obsolete in a year. Since IT is the core skillset of the company you hire, they will know your network better than you and exactly what you need to keep it current. That is experience you can’t put a price tag on.
- Cut Overhead – The fact of the matter on this reward is pretty straight forward – Less actual employee’s means less overhead and more profit. You also benefit from the power of bulk purchasing and leasing options for hardware and even software and the licensing, not to mention keeping in compliance with industry regulations. Imagine depending on one or two IT people on-site to handle all of these functions? It just isn’t cost effective and it makes everyone’s job that much harder. With less overhead comes increased profit margins which can be re-invested into the company or shared with employees to encourage them to stay with the company as turnover is a costly fact of business.
- Well Qualified Staff – Since IT is an IT provider’s core business, they have to maintain competency and hire only those highly qualified in IT skillsets. It is important for them to hire employees with the proper certifications, employees that are self-starters and problem solvers. If they did not have such stringent requirements, their reputation would suffer and so would their business and bottom line. When you hire on your own you may not have any idea what to look for, what to ask, or what certifications are needed to perform the job you are hiring for.
- Options – While your company, if using IT staff hired from within, is limited in knowledge and availability; IT service providers have a plethora of resources available to them with multiple capabilities and skillsets. Vendors have multiple resources available to them, while internal staff may have limited resources and capabilities.
Reap The Rewards Of IT Outsourcing With Marimon
You’ve seen all the reasons why a company might outsource IT services, you’ve seen a taste of the rewards that a company can expect from outsourcing IT – Now it’s your turn to get your rewards with Marimon. We bring decades of industry experience, hardware and software certifications and smart IT system designs to your workplace and you focus on what you do best for your customers while we support in the background. Don’t be one of those companies with great products and services but a horrible IT system that causes bottlenecks in other parts of the business. A Marimon consultant will evaluate your current IT needs as well as current equipment needs to determine the best system for your business operations to run smoothly. Our consultants are not just a person behind a phone, they are highly trained and experience IT professionals that know exactly when your company needs and how to implement it. Call Marimon today to get the ball rolling on optimizing your IT infrastructure and see the Marimon difference!